August 19, 2011

Introducing my favourite artists (of this moment)


You know what my problem is? I’m kind of an omnivore when it comes to the things I tend to like in my life, whether it’s courses to take at university, books to read or films to watch. The same thing happens with music. My favourites can change from month to month, from week to week or even from day to day. It’s difficult for me to name my favourite songs or albums or even artists. I CAN tell you however about the artists I currently listen to a lot or still listen to regularly so you can get a sense of my taste in music. (It’s still just a small selection though :P)

Newbie’s
I’ll start with some artists I discovered only recently – either because they’ve only just had their musical debut, or because I didn’t know of their existence up until recently...

Usually nothing really good comes out of watching the Eurovision song contest except maybe a few contagious tunes and frustration about the Dutch entry of that year. This year (2010) however I discovered a new artist, I downloaded his album and listened to it at least 10 times up until now (which is a lot in my case!) His name is Raphael Gualazzi, a young Italian crooner. His songs and voice are so contagious, that I almost can’t help myself from listening to them and afterwards I hate myself ‘cause the tunes get so fricking stuck in your head. He makes a jazzy kind of pop music, mostly in English which you don’t see that often in Italian singers! I am kind of a sucker for jazzy pop, and he fits the bill nicely.

Another artist I discovered in a – for me – unusual way is Ben Folds. For some time I’ve been watching YouTube video’s from this British guy my age, Charlie McDonnell, who apparently is pretty big in the UK. He made a music video to go with a song from Ben Folds, who made an album which features texts of Nick Hornby (Lonely avenue, 2010). I came across the name Ben Folds before and the song I heard Charlie act to was really nice, so I listened to the whole album and was hooked almost immediately. The lyrics by Hornby are so surreal, but the music fits it perfectly. It does seem like a case of either lovin’ or hatin’ it, but I love it. The video of the British kid making a music video:



Another great find of mine has been Selah Sue. She’s a Belgian singer-songwriter who makes jazzy music with pop, funk and reggae influences. Her voice is so strong and particular that she grabbed me when I saw her on Dutch television. Later I went to her performance on Festival Mundial (the Netherlands) and she completely blew my mind. Even though her lyrics are sometimes a bit hard to understand or to hear, she’s great!

Last but definitely not least is an artist that had her big break last year with the song Price tag with B.o.B. Yes, I’m talking about Jessie J. Not only does she write her own songs – which I always admire! – but her lyrics are also very good. She dares to criticize the world she’s a part of, the people that have given her a hard time in the past, and most of all I completely agree with her and can relate to a part of her story. All that plus an amazing voice that gives me goosebumps, that’s enough for me to buy the album! Favourite song: the live version of Big white room, which moves me to the bone:



Old-timers
After naming some recent discoveries, “all” that remains is to let you know what artists I’ve known for a while and listen to regularly...

First I’d like to bring up the sad news of the death of Amy Winehouse. I’ve always loved her voice and her lyrics and was hoping that she was gonna release some new music soon, because I can’t get enough of it. Alas, I heard of her death and I couldn’t believe it (even though she had been in trouble for a while) She’s one of the artists I’ve been listening to for long and I won’t stop listening to her songs and her two albums. R.I.P. Amy! My favourite song of hers with damn good lyrics:



Another female singer that I love very much unfortunately only has made one album up until now (BUT: she’s writing and recording right at this moment, YES!) is Dutch singer Lisa Lois. She won the Dutch version of X-factor and made a brilliant debut album, which includes songs written by Jessie J and Pixie Lott. She has soulful songs and a very powerful and warm soulful voice. I can’t help but sing along to her songs when I hear them. I’m curious for the stuff she’s writing herself!

The next artist I want to tell you about is a little bit the odd man out, mostly because his style of music is poppy R&B, which usually isn’t my preferred style, but also because he doesn’t sing in English! He is an Italian singer who has made 4 albums up until now and his name is Tiziano Ferro (I have a serious thing for Italy BTW). He has had a few hits in English and outside of Italy, but nothing majorly popular. His songs however are very, very contagious, even though I don’t understand everything he’s singing and his voice can be a little bit annoying from time to time. He has some flaws, but I still love his music + he’s not bad to look at either.

There are two other favourites of mine that are slightly similar music wise. They’re both male, cute, have made quite a few albums up until now and are modern crooners. I’m talking – of course – about Jamie Cullum and Michael Bublé. Listening to them has let me get to know all those old jazz and swing standards, along with getting to know their amazing voices and their own songs. I really love these two guys for introducing me to the world of jazz. I actually saw Jamie live once (at the North Sea Jazz Festival) which was awesome! He forgot his lyrics, but was still amazing.

Another artist I saw at that festival was Adele, who needs no introduction. From the moment she released Chasing pavements I’ve loved everything she has done and I have both her albums. What strikes me most however isn’t so much her music and her majestic voice, but that her personality is so natural! She’s so fun at concerts and interviews and you can tell that she doesn’t pretend to be someone she’s not. Respect for that! This is a great cover she did of a Sam Cooke song:


I also have an enormous respect for Jason Mraz, the next of my favourite artists, ‘cause he dares to write lyrics that are not standard, that are not predictable. His lyrics are individual, sometimes ambiguous and fun to listen to. Besides that he’s great live and makes very fun music too, so what’s not to like?!

Now time for three fairly new singers, all of them girl powerhouses, great voices, composers in their own right and pop divas. I’m talking about Rihanna – with her characteristic voice and daring looks – Katy Perry – with her brilliant lyrics, music videos and outfits – and last but definitely not least: Lady Gaga – outrageous, individual and exceptionally musical. These three women are very popular and I don’t find that surprising. They are powerful and do what they like, no matter what anyone might say. That accompanied by amazing voices and sense of style (although I myself am not very fashionable) and you can’t go wrong! Love their albums and their songs and hope they’ll be around forever.

The last artist I wanna talk about is very dear to me. I got to know him when I just started developing my own taste in music and had discovered jazz. This dutch singer performed live on a TV show and he grabbed me immediately. I’m talking about singer-songwriter Wouter Hamel who will release his third album at the end of September this year (Pre-order!). I love his voice, his songs – which he writes himself – his arrangements, the rest of the band and I can go on and on about him. You’ll probably come across his name more often on my blog. I guess you can say he’s my ultimate favourite! This is his new single in a live-version on Dutch radio:



So now you know a little bit about my taste in music, but what are your favourites? And do you want to know more about one of my favourites in particular?



Dutch translation


Weet je wat mijn probleem is? Ik ben een soort alleseter op het gebied van alles wat ik neig leuk te vinden in mijn leven, of het nu gaat om vakken die ik wil volgen, boeken die ik wil lezen of films die ik wil zien. Hetzelfde gebeurt met muziek. Mijn favorieten kunnen per maand, per week of zelfs per dag wisselen. Het is moeilijk voor me om mijn favoriete liedjes, albums of zelfs artiesten te noemen. Ik kan jullie echter WEL vertellen over de artiesten waar ik op dit moment veel naar luister of nog regelmatig naar luisteren zodat jullie een idee krijgen van mijn muzieksmaak. (NB: Het is nog steeds maar een kleine selectie :P)

Newbie's

Ik zal beginnen met een aantal artiesten die ik recentelijk heb ontdekt - ofwel omdat ze pas net hun eerste muziek hebben uitgebracht, ofwel omdat ik tot voor kort nog niet van hun bestaan afwist...

Gewoonlijk heeft het kijken naar het Eurovisie Songfestival niet echt een positieve uitwerking op je, behalve misschien een paar aanstekelijke melodietjes en frustratie met betrekking tot de Nederlandse inzending van dat jaar. Dit jaar (2010) heb ik echter een nieuwe artiest ontdekt, heb ik zijn album gedownload en tot nu toe heb ik daar al minstens 10 keer naar geluisterd (wat erg vaak is voor mijn doen!) Zijn naam is Raphael Gualazzi, een jonge Italiaanse crooner. Zijn liedjes en stem zijn zo aanstekelijk dat ik bijna niet anders kan dan ernaar te luisteren en dan achteraf mezelf voor mijn kop te slaan omdat die melodieën zo fricking lang in je hoofd blijven hangen. Hij maakt een jazz-achtig soort popmuziek, voornamelijk in het Engels wat je bij Italiaanse artiesten niet zo vaak ziet. Ik laat me makkelijk inpakken door jazzy pop, en hij voldoet daar perfect aan.

Een andere artiest die ik heb ontdekt op een - voor mij - vreemde manier is Ben Folds. Een tijdje al kijk ik naar de Youtube video's van een Britse gast van mijn leeftijd, Charlie McDonnell, die blijkbaar een grote ster is in Engeland. Hij had een videoclip gemaakt bij een liedje van Ben Folds, die een album heeft gemaakt met daarop teksten van Nick Hornby (Lonely avenue, 2010). Ik was de naam Ben Folds al eerder tegengekomen en het liedje waar Charlie op acteerde klonk erg leuk, dus ik heb het hele album beluisterd en ik werd er bijna meteen door gegrepen. De lyrics van Hornby zijn vrij surreëel, maar de muziek past er perfect bij. Ik denk wel dat het iets is dat je ofwel haat ofwel geweldig vindt, maar ik vind het geweldig. Dit is de videoclip van de Engelse gast:




Een andere goede vondst is Selah Sue. Zij is een Belgische singer-songwriter die jazzy muziek maakt met pop, funk en reggae invloeden. Haar stem is zo sterk en bijzonder dat ze me bij de kladden heeft gegrepen toen ik haar op TV zag. Later ben ik naar haar optreden op Festival Mundial (Nederland) geweest en heeft ze me perplex doen staan. Ook al zijn haar teksten soms moeilijk te begrijpen of te verstaan, ze is geweldig!

Last but definitely not least wil ik het hebben over een artieste die vorig jaar haar grote doorbraak had met het liedje Price tag ft. B.o.B. Ja ik heb het over Jessie J. Ze schrijft niet alleen haar eigen liedjes - wat ik altijd bewonder! - maar haar teksten zijn daarnaast zo goed. Ze durft de wereld om haar heen, de mensen die haar dwars zaten in het verleden te bekritiseren en bovendien ben ik het helemaal met haar eens en kan ik me gedeeltelijk identificeren met haar verhaal. Dit alles plus een geweldige stem die me kippenvel bezorgd is genoeg om mij het album te laten kopen! Favoriete nummer: de live-versie van Big white room, die me bijna doet huilen, zo mooi:



Old-timers
Na het te hebben gehad over wat nieuwe ontdekkingen, is "alles" dat overblijft: jullie op de hoogte stellen van wat artiesten die ik al langer ken en waar ik regelmatig naar luister...

Ten eerste wil ik graag het vreselijke nieuws van de dood van Amy Winehouse met jullie delen. Ik ben altijd verliefd geweest op haar stem en haar teksten en ik hoopte nog zo dat ze snel nieuwe nummers zou uitbrengen, omdat ik er geen genoeg van kon krijgen. Helaas, ik hoorde van haar dood en kon het niet geloven (al zat ze al langer in de problemen) Ze is een van die artiesten waar ik lang naar luister en ik zal nooit ophouden naar haar liedjes en haar twee albums te luisteren. R.I.P. Amy! Mijn favoriete nummer met vreselijk goede lyrics:




Een andere zangeres die ik erg goed vind die jammer genoeg nog maar één album heeft gemaakt tot nu toe (MAAR: op dit moment is ze - YES! - een nieuw album aan het opnemen) is de Nederlandse zangeres Lisa Lois. Ze is de winnaar van de Nederlandse versie van X-factor en heeft een briljant debutalbum opgenomen, met daarop liedjes onder andere geschreven door Jessie J en Pixie Lott. Ze zingt soulfulle nummers met een zeer krachtige en warme, soulfulle stem. Ik kan niet anders dan met haar nummers meezingen als ik ze hoor. Ik ben heel benieuwd naar het materiaal dat ze zelf aan het schrijven is!

De volgende artiest waar ik jullie over wil vertellen is een beetje een vreemde eend in deze bijt, vooral omdat hij poppy R&B muziek maakt wat normaal gesproken niet mijn all-time-favourite is, maar ook omdat hij niet in het Engels zingt! Hij is een Italiaanse zanger die tot nu toe 4 albums heeft gemaakt en zijn naam is Tiziano Ferro (ik heb heel veel met Italië BTW). Hij heeft een paar hitjes gehad in Engeland en buiten Italië, maar is niet buitengewoon populair. Zijn liedjes zijn echter heel erg aanstekelijk, ook al begrijp ik niet alles wat hij zingt en kan zijn stem van tijd tot tijd wat vervelend zijn. Hij heeft wat gebreken, maar ik houd erg van zijn muziek + hij is ook nog eens leuk om naar te kijken.

Twee andere favorieten van me liggen qua muziek vrij dicht bij elkaar. Het zijn twee mannen, ze zien er cute uit, hebben tot nu toe nogal wat albums gemaakt en zijn moderne crooners. Ik heb het - uiteraard - over Jamie Cullum en Michael Bublé. Zij hebben mij kennis laten maken met al die oude jazz en swing standards, en tegelijkertijd met hun geweldige stemmen en hun eigen liedjes. Ik bewonder deze mannen omdat ze me hebben geïntroduceerd in de wereld van de jazz. Jamie heb ik zelfs ooit een keer live gezien (op het North Sea Jazz Festival) wat geweldig was! Hij vergat wel zijn tekst, maar was nog steeds briljant.

Een andere artiest die ik toen heb gezien was Adele, die ik niet hoef te introduceren. Vanaf het moment dat Chasing pavements uitkwam ben ik gevallen voor alles wat ze heeft gedaan en ik heb allebei haar albums. Wat me echter het meest heeft geraakt is niet zozeer haar muziek en majestueuze stem, maar haar natuurlijke persoonlijkheid. Ze is zo fun bij concerten en interviews en je kunt zien dat ze niet iemand probeert te zijn die ze niet is. Respect daarvoor! Dit is een heerlijke cover van een Sam Cooke nummer:




Ik heb ook veel respect voor Jason Mraz, mijn volgende favoriete artiest, omdat hij teksten durft te schrijven die niet standaard zijn, die niet voorspelbaar zijn. Zijn teksten zijn persoonlijk, soms dubbelzinnig en leuk om naar te luisteren. Daarnaast is hij live geweldig en is zijn muziek erg veel fun, wat wil je nog meer?!

Nu is het tijd voor drie relatief nieuwe zangeressen, alle drie vrouwelijke grootmachten, sterke stemmen, componistes en popdiva's. Ik heb het over Rihanna - met haar karakteristieke stem en uitdagende uiterlijk - Katy Perry - met haar geweldige lyrics, videoclips en outfits - en niet de minste: Lady Gaga - buitensporig, karakteristiek en buitengewoon muzikaal. Deze drie vrouwen zijn immens populair en dat verbaast me niets. Ze zijn sterk en doen wat ze willen, wat anderen daar ook van zeggen. Voeg daar dan nog geweldige stemmen en stijl (ook al ben ik zelf totaal niet modieus ingesteld) aan toe en er kan niets meer mis gaan! Ik houd van hun albums en nummers en ik hoop dat ze voor altijd muziek blijven maken.

De laatste artiest waar ik het over wil hebben staat me na aan het hart. ik heb hem ontdekt toen ik net bezig was mijn eigen muziekvoorkeuren te ontdekken en de jazz had ontdekt. Deze Nederlandse zanger trad op in een TV-programma en hij greep me meteen. Ik heb het over singer-songwriter Wouter Hamel die eind september van dit jaar zijn derde album zal uitbrengen (Preorder!). Ik houd van zijn stem, zijn liedjes - die hij zelf schrijft - zijn arrangementen, de rest van de band en ik kan nog even zo doorgaan. Je komt zijn naam waarschijnlijk nog wel vaker tegen op mijn blog. Je zou kunnen zeggen dat hij mijn ultieme favoriet is! Dit is zijn nieuwe single in een live versie op de Nederlandse radio:




Nu weten jullie wat meer over mijn muzieksmaak, maar wat zijn jullie favorieten? Willen jullie wat meer weten over een van mijn favorieten in het bijzonder?